How the Gig Talent Economy Can Help Your Organization Post Covid-19
We’re seeing it happen day by day. Organizations working completely remote and learning how to navigate a new and (for many) unfamiliar structure. With COVID-19 impacting organizations everywhere and in different ways, it’s important to consider the changes that need to be made on the other side of the current crisis. We’ve seen breweries convert operations and make hand sanitizer while clothing companies sew scrubs and face masks. While we don’t know when exactly this crisis will end, we do know that work as we’ve known it has forever been changed. So, what should we learn from all of this pivoting and how do we build on new opportunities moving forward?
First, We Think Differently About Talent
With so many organizations under pressure right now, it’s important to be agile in the way talent is thought about and managed. According to Forbes, 36% of U.S. workers are working in the gig economy and that number is growing at a rapid pace. For many businesses, these workers are an untapped yet critical resource. So how can we think about this talent differently moving forward?
1. Rethink job descriptions. One size does not fit all. By breaking your job descriptions down into projects and/or tasks, you can tap into the gig economy and leverage expertise and skills for those who are amazing at their craft, creating a talent advantage in specific areas.
2. Think about teams differently. When it comes to leading an effective team, emphasis must be put on two things, understanding how to manage (1) different tasks and (2) different people.
3. Turn the gig economy internal. When you let your own employees shine and help them focus on the tasks, projects and areas they are skilled in, business objectives are met and often exceeded. Plus, you are developing your employees in areas meaningful to them.
Then, We Leverage Consultants vs. Hiring Full-Time
As the traditional workplace continues to change, the flexibility, choice and opportunity the gig economy provides continues to stand out. A study done by Upwork concluded that 64% of professionals who are the top in their industry are increasingly choosing to work independently. Think about the projects and interim needs your organization has. They often don’t require hiring a full-time employee and this is where independent consultants thrive.
Here are some questions to consider if you’re thinking about leveraging outside talent.
• What skills are involved for the task?
• Do we even have the internal expertise to complete a specific project or task?
• Does it require a full-time employee who can do a number of different tasks?
• Does it make more sense to hire a gig worker who specializes in a given area?
• Can they be brought in on an “as needed” basis?
Freelancers, independent consultants and other forms of gig workers are playing a large role.
Finally, We Tap into Subject Matter Experts On-Demand
Whatever the new “normal” looks like, leveraging top talent will always be necessary and now may be the perfect time to start. Now more than ever, organizations are looking for elite and expert talent to stand out and it’s available everywhere. With the workforce adjusting we’re seeing a larger pool of highly skilled talent emerging and independent consultants taking the place of a typical 9:00-5:00 employee. In order to achieve outstanding business results, organizations must build their teams with the best talent possible.
As work continues to change amid the current crisis, it’s important to keep the future in mind. We cannot afford to continue thinking about work in the same way. While we hope and pray that we may never see a crisis of this magnitude again, it’s inevitable that all organizations will face some type of crisis again in their future. It’s imperative organizations use Covid-19 as a learning experience in order to adjust how work is done.
How can you stay on top? How can you think about things differently and change the way you manage talent? The talent is here, it’s available and it’s growing fast.
If you’re an organization looking for the best HR Consultants and Coaches to help drive results through leveraging diverse knowledge and talent, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or check out our website: www.gogigtalent.com/clients/. If you’re interested in becoming a GigTalent Certified Consultant and/or if you know of any amazing HR Consultants and Coaches, we’re always looking to expand our community. Visit www.gogigtalent.com to learn more.